Ask an Accountant: Are legal and accounting consults deductible?

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 0 Reddit 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email 0 0 Flares ×

Although tax season is over, tax questions arise year round. Momondealz is married to an experienced accountant and will be answering questions sent to him at with the subject line “Ask an Accountant”.


I am a blogger who has recently set my site up to be a “business”. This required seeking advice from lawyers and an accountant. Can I deduct the fees I was charged for this advice?


Yes. This would fall under legal and professional fees. As long as your meetings were business related, they are considered ordinary and neccessary business expenses. However, there are certain legal expenses that are considered “start up costs”. The cost of getting started before operations have begun are considered capital costs and are recovered over time. Since many bloggers start their sites before “becoming a business”, this usually doesn’t apply.

*Please keep in mind this post is for informational purposes only and answers given are very general. Do not rely on this column for definite tax answers as many things depend on individual circumstances. Please contact your personal accountant or financial advisor for your particular situation.

photo credit:
Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Email this to someone
0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 0 Reddit 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email 0 0 Flares ×

Google+ Comments

About the author: I’m a 30-something mom to three, brand ambassador. content creator, social media maven, blogger extraordinaire, earth lover, butcher, baker, candlestick maker (or something along those lines) – love word games, crafting, cake decorating or shooting pictures.

0 comments… add one

Leave a Comment