TerraCycle Toothpaste Tube Toothbrush Holder
Upcycle your toothpaste tubes into this fresh bathroom caddy
By: Tiffany Threadgould
Looking for a refreshing alternative to throwing away your toothpaste tubes? This easy do-it-yourself project upcycles your empty tubes into a simple toothbrush holder. Upcycling materials like these are a great way to reuse without costing a mint.
5 empty toothpaste tubes
ribbon or plastic lanyard
1. Collect five Colgate® toothpaste tubes. Clean them by cutting off the bottom and slipping your scissors into the side seam. Flatten them out and clean with soap and water.
2. Cut four tubes to 3 ½” x 4 ½” and one tube into a 3 ½” x 3 ½” square. Fold down the top ½” of the four rectangular tubes and tape.
3. Take one of the four rectangles and punch holes every ½” along the two tall sides and along the short bottom side that is not folded. Use this punched piece as a template and punch holes in the exact same spots on the other three rectangular pieces.
4. To punch the small square piece, line up the short punched side of the rectangle piece with any side of the short piece. Repeat punching holes for the other three sides of the square using the short side of the rectangular piece as a template.
5. Then punch two holes near the center of the square. This will be the bottom of the container and the holes will be for drainage.
6. Match up two large pieces and lace up one side tying it off at the top and bottom. Open it up. On one of the non-laced ends, attach to the next rectangular piece in the same way with the printed sides facing out. Repeat for each additional rectangular piece. When you’ve laced all four pieces, connect the two end pieces together and lace creating a cube with your pieces.
7. Match up the square piece with the bottom of the container. Use binder clips to hold it in place. Lace around the bottom of the container and tie it off. You’re ready to put your upcycled toothbrush holder into action.
Tip: This toothbrush holder can also double as a pencil holder!
If you have completed this project and still have more toothpaste tubes and other oral care products to upcycle, be sure to sign up for the TerraCycle (www.terracycle.net) oral care brigade and send them in. These items will be transformed into new products, and better yet, your collection will earn money for your favorite charity!
What else can we use these cool holders for?
In keeping with the Colgate theme, here’s a link for some Colgate printables!!
I am posting this as a Terracycle Bloggers Club member for a contest.