12 Days of Christmas Cookies:: Caramel Sour Cream Cookies
- ½ cup softened shortening
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 well beaten egg
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp soda
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- brown sugar for topping
- Makes approximately 3 dozen depending on shape and size.
- In large mixing bowl or bowl of stand mixer, cream together shortening & sugar.
- Add the well beaten egg to the sour cream.
- Sift together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and sour cream mixture to the creamed sugar and shortening, mixing well after each addition.
- Chill dough for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll into small balls. Place on cookie sheet and press with floured fork in two directions (like a peanut butter cookie).
- Sprinkle tops lightly with brown sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Decorate with your favorite icing or sprinkle with brown sugar while still warm.
Recipe by This Mama Loves at http://www.thismamaloves.com/caramel-sour-cream-cookies/