Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups margarine or 1¼ cups butter, softened
- 1 (12½ ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease 13x9 inch pan.
- In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture, about 3 cups, in bottom of greased pan.
- Reserve remaining crumb mixture for topping.
- Bake at 350* for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl combine caramel topping and 3 tbls.
- flour; set aside.
- Sprinkle warm crust with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until filling is set.
- Cut into bars.
When I made them I used Mrs. Richards butterscotch caramel sauce in the ice cream toppings section. Also, I substituted extra chocolate chips for the nuts.
Recipe by This Mama Loves at http://www.thismamaloves.com/oatmeal-carmelitas/