My kids love orange juice. I feel like it is a far less sugary option than many juices, and don’t mind them drinking it at breakfast. (Of course, I still get away with diluting my almost 6 year old’s OJ but that’s another post!!). They love nothing more than having orange juice in straw cups while making pancakes from scratch on Saturday mornings- which is my favorite time of the week. We all work together to do the pancakes- even the baby gets to help- and its such a wonderful way to start the day, working together as a team.
Our personal favorite orange juices are from Florida- I can always tell when it isn’t from the Sunshine State!! It just tastes different!!
On non-pancake days, we still try to eat together as a family. With my husband’s work schedule he can’t always eat with us but he does try to most days, and I honestly feel like it helps us to all have a better start to our morning- just as the evening meal helps us to talk about what happened during the day. I love talking with my family and finding out what they are thinking about and wanting to discover- growing up, we did have family dinners, but breakfast was either non existent or rushed- until I got pregnant with Busy, I wasn’t ever really a person to bother with breakfast at all! The longer we do it, the more I can see the importance for each of us physically but having meals together is so wonderful emotionally as well.
A Better Day Begins with a Meaningful Morning
Florida orange juice helps families make mornings more meaningful
Mornings are one of the busiest times for families, but a happy, healthy start can set the tone for the day ahead. Parenting expert and author of The Big Book of Parenting Solutions, Dr. Michele Borba and nutritionist and author of Expect the Best, Your Guide to Healthy Eating Before, During & After Pregnancy, Elizabeth Ward, M.S., R.D. have partnered with the Florida Department of Citrus to offer simple solutions to help families start the day on the right foot.
Information about 100 Percent Orange Juice:
- Drinking a refreshing glass of naturally, nutrient-rich 100 percent orange juice together each morning as part of a healthy breakfast is one way for you and your family to connect and help you prepare for a great day, every day.
- One 8-ounce glass of 100 percent Florida orange juice counts as almost 25 percent of your USDA-recommended daily fruit and vegetable servings, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
- Compared to many other beverages, 100 percent orange juice is a clear nutritional standout. In fact, orange juice is more nutrient dense, or nutrient rich, than many commonly consumed 100 percent fruit juices, such as apple, grape, pineapple and prune.
Nutrition Tips from Elizabeth Ward, M.S., R.D.:
- Eating a nutritious breakfast can greatly impact your day and has even been associated with weight loss and weight maintenance, as well as improved nutrient intake. Breakfast eaters tend to have more energy throughout the day and, because they are not as likely to be hungry, they often have an easier time managing their weight than those who skip breakfastSo sit down with your family around the breakfast table or grab something on the go – you’ll help each person get a good start to the day.
- Look for juices that specifically say “100% Juice” on the information panel and avoid beverages with names such as “cocktail,” “beverage,” “drink” or “-ade.” Such juice concoctions often have added sugars and typically do not provide the natural variety and amount of nutrients found in 100 percent fruit juices such as 100 percent orange juice.
Parenting Tips from Dr. Michele Borba:
- A simple way to connect is by designating time in your family’s normal morning routine as “unplugged time” – without turning on the television, computer or video games. Start with just 10 minutes and gradually work your way up to more unplugged mornings.
- Instead of rushing out the door, talk to your kids as you pour a glass of nutrient-rich 100 percent orange juice together while you pack a healthy breakfast to go.
* Want more? Visit the Florida Orange Juice Facebook Page to download a free “Meaningful Morning Checklist” with tips for making the most of your family’s morning.
[ad#glam between posts]