If you’re a mom, you know how difficult it can be to fit in excercise. Many women join gyms and take advantage of their daycare facilities. Unfortunately, gym memberships were one of the first things to go when we cut our budget in order for me to stay home with the kids. However, staying fit and excercising are still top priorities for my husband and I. There are many ways we accomplish our goals in more frugal ways-
1. Running outside-I have always hated running. However, after having my second child, I knew I had to do something to lose the baby weight. I signed up for my first 5k for motivation-and it worked! I now run 3 times a week and take the kids with me. It has become part of our morning routine and they love it! Not only do they get fresh air and sunshine, we also get to talk about things in the neighborhood and I use it as a good time to practice colors by playing “I Spy” with Will (ie I spy a yellow truck).
2. Utilizing the “Free Zone” via my cable box. Our cable company has an on demand channel that offers free shows. One day while surfing the free categories I found some Exercise TV shows. I love thses because they are divided up into various workouts such as cardio, dancing, weights, 10 min workouts, and specific body parts. I never have the excuse of not having time because the workouts vary in time from 10 min to 60!
3. Sharing/Swapping Home Workout Videos-Many of my friends work out at home as well. We all have pretty big libraries of DVDs so when we get tired of one we give them one and they give us one of theirs. Then we swap back later on.
4. Playing with the kids. I know, I know, this is a no brainer. However, Will is getting to the age where we can start teaching him actual sports and he is natural soccer player. Neither my husband or myself have ever played but I can tell you that kicking a ball around the back yard for 20 min can make your muscles just as sore as an hour long workout-plus your child will nap even better!
5. Yard Sales/Craigs List-These 2 places are excellent ways to save money on excersing! You can always find DVD’s, weights, bikes, or different machines/benches at yard sales on sale on Craig’s List. Many of these items are at “rock bottom” prices so you pay a fraction of their original cost. My parents got a Total Body Gym for $25 at a yard sale and it was in perfect condition!
How do you save money and get fit at the same time?
Sharon is a wife, mom, former teacher, and owner of Momondealz. She began blogging about saving money when her family chose to become a one income home in order for her to become a SAHM. Her blog Momondealz helps readers save money by couponing, entering giveaways, getting freebies, and making frugal recipes and kids crafts!
[ad#glam between posts]