Happy Campers, We Got an RV

CamperRVTravelMy family and I love to take trips and we always try to keep it affordable.  So, after spending some time at local campgrounds with some friends we decided to buy a camper.    I had no idea the amount of activities and amenities they offer at the campgrounds.   Previously my camping experiences consisted of damp tents, long walks to the bathrooms and bad sleep.  I don’t hate tent camping but RV camping is more desirable.  I spent a few months reading about RVs and learning the difference between, popups, hybrids and travel trailers.  I searched Craigslist, went to an RV show, and finally found one I really liked on Bargain News.  We took a look at it and we made an offer.  A few weeks later we became the proud owners of a cute Cruiser Fun Finder.

RV TV Stereo amenities

RV amenities, microwave, gas stove

The Fun Finder is currently parked in our yard.  We are getting to know all of the systems in it and enjoying just hanging out in it.  The first day we had it we watched a Garfield movie and had snacks in our home on wheels.  The three of us, my husband, son and I, are ready for some new adventures.  We love to see new places, be outdoors, hike, ride bikes and be together.  We are all excited to hitch the RV up and head to some new campgrounds.  We will start off staying pretty close to home as we get used to towing it.  There are some really great campgrounds in CT that offer daily activities for the kids, heated pools, large playgrounds and restaurants.  We also want to try out some of the state parks.  We won’t always be traveling alone.  Our dog, Beta will be an RVer soon too.

RV camping with a pet

Check out this great game for camping or backyard fun.    http://mamalovesherbargains.com/2012/07/snipe-hunt-family-game/

Have you ever been camping in a tent, RV, Yurt or small cottage?  What is your favorite thing about camping?

About the author: I am a plant-based mom, wife, educator and blogger.

• My brother bought an RV to truck his youngest son around to his BMX races all over the east coast (apparently he is quite good). Finally got to see it last summer and boy, you should see his RV: it even has a “garage” for their golf cart which they use for trnasportation when they’ve parked for a few days. Their kitchen is even bigger than my kitchen at home, and it has a bathtub with a shower. Man! My husband keeps saying he’d like to borrow it, but then I mention the “grey water management” duties and he says he’d rather stay in hotels. Oh, well!

• I grew up camping and loved it (always used tents). I Never been in an RV before, and yours looks very nice. I bet it is nice to have a toilet inside. My favorite experience has always been sitting around the campfire listening to stories and making Smore’s.

• So exciting, Gayle!! Can’t wait to hear about your adventures!

• Thanks! We have been researching campgrounds and are quite excited to get going!

• I love camping! I’ve been camping before in a tent, pop up camper, and an rv! :) Its so much fun every summer we go camping at the beach and we can walk right to the ocean. Its awesome and much cheaper than staying in hotels!

• congrats on your r.v. the perfect accessory to a long weekend.

• Thanks! Love your comment!

• My uncle had an Airstream when I was young and I loved going on vacation (anywhere) with them just so I could ride in the Airstream. Sounds like you and your family are in for some fun times. Enjoy!

• How about a nice park model with a real kitchen, master bedroom, double loft, in a gated park where you OWN the land. We had lots of campfires and sitting on the deck looking over the ravine with my cup of coffee and the sound of the birds singing in the morning. We went swimming during the day at one of the 2 pools while one of my children would go fishing in one of the “lakes”. Bands, dances, potlucks, bingo on weekends and holidays. We haven’t really used it for a couple of years so it is up on the market.

• Where is it?

• We just got a RV also the main reason was our dog it is difficult vacationing with pets very expensive to rent rooms or cabins so we decided RVing was the answer very excited for summer to get here.

• I don’t look forward to cleaning up the fur in the RV but it will be nice to have our Boo with us and not have to place her in a kennel.

• I am so jealous. I want one of these. Congratulations, you must have fun… I went camping but I always used a tent.

sibabe64 at ptd dot net

• I have such fun memories camping with my family as a kid. I hope my husband and I can continue the tradition with out kids!

• We just bought a camper last fall, used it once and are anxiously awaiting spring to hit the campgrounds again. We love camping.

• We have tented, bought a cabin, loved it but to much work and finally bought a motorhome, we love travelling and camping too, the problem is in Alberta campground are full by Tuesday for a long weekend and Thursday on a regular week so now you have to book ahead and we use to like to jump in and go, so that part is a let down but there is nothing is like being outdoors and the smell of a campfire. Happy Camping:)

• I love camping. Sitting out at night, with a fire, looking up at all the stars!

• How fun! That is a beautiful camper! My son is two and we have started thinking about this as well. I can’t wait to get on board too.

• I am so happy that you made this leap – you have a many long seasons of fun ahead of you in your new second (mobile) home!

Perhaps someday we too will get to join the ranks of you RVers!

• Make sure that new house has the hookups for us when we visit!!

• Oh I’m jealous. I’ve been wanting a vintage travel trailer, but then after looking at some that needed a lot of work, I’ve decided we’d be better off with a newer one. Enjoy your new camper!

• Trish same here! An old Airstream would be cool but it would be a project and we want to get camping now!

• Congrats on getting an RV. I think you’ll like it. We have a camper that we keep permanently parked at a local campground. Almost every weekend, for seven months out of the year, that’s where we go. Good times!

• Thanks Terra!

• Congratulations on the camper/rv. Growing up, we has a coleman fold down trailer that slept 8. Almost every weekend from Memorial day to Labor day, we would go to one of our local lakes and camp with 2 other aunts, uncles and assorted cousins. Great memories,

• We did not camp growing up but I was amazed at how excited my mom is for us. We are going to set her and my dad up in it for a week this summer.

• Congratulations! My husband and I have always wanted to own a camper. We just can’t afford it right now. In future articles, if you would like to pass along any information that you learned like– How do you know what size is for you? What brand to buy? Prices? Vehicle needed to tow? Cost of renting and hookups at parks? A pull trailer versus a motor home. Any tips would be helpful. Thank you so much! Enjoy your camper!

• Tammi~ Thank you for all the great suggestions..I have taken notes. I am thrilled with the positive responses to this post. One thing I learned about RVs is that they are not as pricey as I expected. I did not think we could get one and when I started to look I was pleasantly surprised. There are many good used deals because people decided to upgrade.

• Congrats to y’all! I have always wanted a camper, just never got to get me one. So happy for you….fun times ahead!

• I have not been, but I want to so badly. I started about my grand wish to buy an RV and travel for a year. so excited for you!

• Oh wow awesome.

• This is just awesome! I know you will enjoy camping in that. My brother and his family have a nice camper like that and they camp all the time.

• Congrats on the new RV. have fun. enjoy it. ( :

• OMgosh, I am so envious! I so want an RV so that hubby and I can go “glamping” in. I work at a Reanissance faire in the months of Aug. and September and we usually camp from Friday to MOnday. Hubby has done me proud because he built a huge platform for me and we went out an bought a really big tent. BUT, it’s a tent, and I have to use the port-a-potties (bleech) and even though they and the showers are truly a short walk for me, sometimes we don’t get to take a hot shower because there is not hot water. I SO would be happy to have my own pottie and shower.

Anyway, have fun with the trailer. It looks like your fur baby has already settled into it.

• Maddie~ It would be great for Ren faires…I will go to great lengths to avoid a porta-potty.

• We have a 18″ travel trailer – both the front and back flip down for a full then queen bed. LOVE it and we have so much fun camping in our RV! Its me, DH, 4yo boy #1 and 3yo boy #2. Love having heat as we camp more shoulder-season than during the summer for one week or so at a time. For shorter trips in the summer, the AC is da bomb.

KOA’s are our favorite – we’re in PA so not many places to boondock in this area although our tanks wouldn’t last too long, anyway.

Enjoy!!! Feel free to email me with any questions!

• STAYING IN A CAMPER LIKE THIS IS A RAMADA ON WHEELS –WELL ALMOST

• I’ve been tent camping, and on the ground in the desert camping – without a tent or anything.

I am really happy for you and your family. I think this is soooo great that you will have these memories forever. What a thing it’ll be to look back at in twenty years and know that you did that as a family. Priceless.

Look forward to hearing more about it.

• Thanks Wendy!! I am looking forward to some great star gazing.

• I am looking forward to setting up our funfinder for the first time at a nice campground. It’s a new hobby and something I know the whole family will really get a kick out of.

• Oh you lucky dogs! I’d love to have a camper…or just rent one for a week. I’ve not slept/used one since I was a kid over 25 yrs ago. Congrats and have fun!

• Paula and so many of the campgrounds have cute rustic cottage rentals!

• Congratulation on the new camper! I’m jealous. We’re old tent campers…but were mostly weekenders. For longer than a weekend, a camper is a MUST!
    What fun you’ll have!
    Word to the wise…CT has very few state campgrounds that are “pet friendly” however, out of state campgrounds welcome pets! My neice write about that in her blog Camping in the Coleman.
    The private CT campgrounds mostly welcome pets…but there is quite a difference in nightly costs of private vs state.
    ENJOY! Can’t wait to read about your adventures.

• I will check out her blog! We went to Brialee and Odetah last year…both private and allowed dogs. When we go to the state parks Boo will have to have a spa weekend at the kennel!

• Oh! I love Odetah! We always camped right on the water! One of my favorites! Also another great private park in CT is Lone Oak! If you have a family, Strawberry Park can’t be beat. They have something going on all the time!

• Congratulations :)

• Thanks!

• Nice! My husband and I plan to get one when he retires in about 2 yrs. so we can hit the road!

• Kathy ~ I have a feeling this is just the beginning for us…there may be other RVs for us in the future.

• Thats a nice camper! Only way to travel long distances comfortably i think..

• Thanks Darlene!! I agree…it is like taking home with you.

• I know a place in Northford!

• I hear that place has free babysitting too!!!

• LOVE camping – I love that in like 2 hours all of the kids in the camp ground have formed a little campground kid tribe and are hanging out, it’s so relaxing even though making a meal and taking a shower (we have a pop up so we don’t have to use the campground ones) take a ton of effort it is still the best vacation!

• Jen~ It really is amazing how quickly the kids bond! I am so excited for our adventures!!

• congratulations on getting a RV my in laws have one and they love it have a great time this summer with it

• Thank you Denise!

• We need something like that!

• Brandi~ My husband and son are currently shoveling a path to it so we can get to it. We are so excited for family time in there, and warmer weather!