It’s time to replace our compost bin #DigIn

This is the first  sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Home Depot as part of a series about outdoor DIY projects  in the yard.  We have composted for almost 8 years now, since moving to our current home.  For years, we’ve just used pallets to kind of frame an area  for the compost bin, which is not aesthetically pleasing but quite functional.  Having the open front means we can easy access the compost to turn it with the pitchfork or to grab shovels full for whatever we are planting.   Having the front open means also that the kids can bring worms they find around the yard to the compost and help the process along- and hey, whatever it takes to keep them from bringing worms inside my house and putting them on the table! But, the pallets aren’t made for this and are falling apart.  Part of the compost bin was also hit by falling trees and branches a few times during the nasty storms we’ve had here in Connecticut.  It’s time to replace and get something more substantial.

compost bin made with pallets

I have seen many different kinds of compost bins that you can purchase in stores and online.  I’ve seen fancy compost crocks that you keep in your kitchen and use to tote the food waste back and forth to the compost bins.  For us, it seems kind of strange to buy a container to tote our food scraps to the compost- we have a bowl we use and run through the dishwasher.  The kids take turns bringing the bowl down to the compost bin.  I’m sure the store bought composters are great but we’re DIY folks and I don’t think my husband would want a purchased bin.  He likes to make things and repurpose them (like the pallets). So we’ll be going with the DIY compost bin this time around.

I found really simple, clear instructions and a shopping list for supplies for how to make a compost bin over at The Home Depot website and was able to go to the store sans husband, get the items I needed and return home with a van full of wood.  The only thing I wasn’t able to do from the instructions was to purchase cedar posts or boards- apparently, these are special orders and not available for purchase off the shelves in most stores.  We will find a safe product to seal what I did purchase and I think we’ll find it to be a great alternative.  (If you really want to do the cedar, which I wasn’t able to wait, plan ahead and place the order ahead of time).

home depot employee

With my list in hand, my littlest one and I headed to The Home Depot on a Friday morning.  We were greeted with friendly smiles and Jamie was quite willing to offer his assistance so that I could find what I needed without pushing the humongous carts around the store in circles.  If you are ever shopping in Manchester, Connecticut,  ask for Jamie!! He was really helpful and more importantly, knowledgeable about both his department and where to direct me for assistance in other departments.  He’s also clearly a good sport, letting me take his photo for a blog post!!

Now that we have all of the supplies we need and plans for how to build a compost bin, we’ll be sharing the results of that project  after it’s complete.

shopping for compost bin materials

Maybe I’ll even show you pictures of the plants and flowers my shopping assistant convinced me to buy before we even met up with Jamie.  It’s hard to say no when she wants to help garden!

It’s home improvement time, and The Home Depot has everything you need to #DigIn for Spring. No matter what projects you want to tackle, they have great values on all you need. They’re ready to help you with renovation ideas and expert advice, too.

Get over $300 in email exclusive savings each year, sneak peeks on new products, monthly lawn & garden ideas for your region and access to The Home Depot’s gardening experts. Click here to join the world’s largest garden community today! Or go to homedepot.com/gardenclub to see some of the many benefits of membership.

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Home Depot.

• This is a great idea! We actually started a very small compost bin that actually worked so I think we need to upgrade!

• I’ve never had a compost bin, but I’ve been thinking about it!

• These are great tips. Can’t wait to read more on the series.

• That’s an awesome idea and would be a fun project for the whole family to do. Thanks for the tips :)

• A compost bin is great. My MIL just has a pit in the ground where she tossed all the material in.

• Great idea. I’d share this idea with my friend who loves gardening

• Oh how cool! I’ve always wanted to make a compost bin, thanks for the encouragement and tips! This just might be the year ;)

• I always like building things with discards like pallets and 5 gallon buckets… saving this idea for later! :)

• I love that you have one and actually use it! How neat. I have thought of making one somewhere in my back yard.

• Oh, I’d love a compost bin! Your helper sure is adorable too. Thanks for sharing!

• I’ve never had a compost bin, but it sounds interesting.

• The truth is I know nothing about composting. And not much about gardening either. Very informative post!

• I really need to get started composting!

• I need to make our own compost bin. It would help us a lot.

• these are some great tips, I would love to make my own compost bin.

• I really like that you guys tend to do things by hand rather than buy pre-made tools and equipment. I can’t wait to see how the project turns out.

• I’d love to know how to my my own compost bin – I look forawrd to your future posts!

• Hubby had plans to make a three bin composting system that looked pretty simple until I received a compost tumbler. I would love to see your project and hope it is going well.

• Our home deopt is great about assisting us with our questions as well. Kudos for composting!

• I sent this post to my husband’s brother who has an upstate lake house and they will be making their own now–thanks to you :)

• Hope your project is coming along well! It looks like a big one!! (At least to me – LOL)

• I know so little about composting, but am excited to learn. Please keep posting on this!

• i have never composted before (not that i know of at least lol) thats great that you do though!

• I am 100% compost pro! We compost too. I wish we had the huge kind that gave you 3 diff levels so that it would “turn” faster. But ours is more like the one you pictured. Please post pic when you are finished! Home Depot rocks!

• I have never composted before but I know it’s excellent for flowers and plants. I’d love to see pictures of your flowers.

• I love how helpful they are at Home Depot. My husband could spend hours on their website. Making your own composting bin is so easy and great for your plants.

• We have had many gardens; vegetable and flower, but we have never had a compost pile or bin. I always wanted to. I just worried it would smell and be more of a job than I wanted to take on. I enjoyed your post and would love to see pics of your growing gardens!

• I live in an apartment and Home Depot does not work for me…

• I think it’s great that you compost – apartment living doesn’t work for that.

• You have to post the pictures of the flowers and plants! I want to see!

• Have seen so many awesome ideas involving pallets. Would love to try this myself.

• I love the idea of a more sturdy compost bin. Ours is currently just chicken wire in the shape of a cylinder. We also use a bowl to take scraps straight to the bin once a day. I bet cedar would be a great wood to make a more durable compost bin, but I guess as a specialty wood type it would require a pre-order. Your little assistant is adorable! Glad you had a knowledgeable person at Home Depot! Thanks for sharing your project! I look forward to reading the rest of the process!

• They’re not nearly that helpful and friendly at my local Home Depot, but I love the idea of the pallets.

• I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

• I’m a garden club member and I love home depot. Can’t wait to see how your new compost bin turns out!

• Hello, every time I put my coffee grounds in the trash can, I think ‘that would make good compost material’, but I live in an apt. complex without an inch of land to call my own. So…anyway, I hope your project goes well. Vicki

• The pallets are a great idea! We just might have to do this!

• This is something I have been thinking about. I am going to add it to our to do list.

• We made the pallet compost bin too, I really want one of the tumble drums but alast my hubby says”NO” we are not spending money that way– so the pallet bin is what we are going to have to use. It does help alot to get the garden going, and I am thankful that we have have it. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for your next post on this….Thanks

• I can’t wait to see the results of your compost project when you are done. I want a compost bin so bad… and a rain barrel lol.

• What a great idea with the pallets, my Husband can get them from work for free!!

• We used to compost at our old house and haven’t started here. We are talking about getting some gardening going, so I need to start it back up. I need to talk to somebody at Home Depot – we have coyotes- about the best way to keep animals out of the compost AND garden. We will probably need some kind of fence…. =)

• Composting is very good for a garden and it is all natural fertilizer. I like Home Depot because they are so good at helping with any need that a homeowner has. They can get you everything you need to make a new Compost bed. You also had a cute helper with you!

• The use of pallets is a great idea kind of a double reuse– house and yard scraps and what would just end up waste wood

• I think it is neat that you all DIY your compost bin. I thought the pallets were ingenious, can’t wait to see the new one. I find it hard to pass up flowers at Home Depot when I go, too.

• I have always wanted to do this where I live now, however, we are getting ready to hopefully sell our house so I don’t want to start one right now. But this IS something I very much am going to try once we move into our new home. It’s just awesome for gardening!

• Good luck with your new compost bin! It’s definitely a worthwhile project!

• My husband has been talking about building a compost bin.

• This is such a good idea. Kitchen and yard scraps can do a lot of good for the garden and don’t need to go to the landfill.

• wow, I never thought of making your own compost bin, would love to try it myself