Each week Mom on Dealz brings us a craft you can complete with your child that is fun, educational, and frugal! I am trying to make December crafts to be geared toward gift giving and since December 8th is National Brownie Day, this craft was perfect!
Brownie in a Jar
2 1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup Hershey kisses
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 small plastic baggie
1. Pour sugar into the mason jar and press down.
2. Add cocoa powder and press down.
3. Pour in flour, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
4. Pour sprinkles in small baggie and attach “love” tag.
5. Attach directions for brownies to the jar.
Directions to attach on jar:
1. Empty mix into a bowl and use hands to mix up.
2. Add 3/4 cup butter and 4 slightly beaten eggs. Mix until well until blended>
3. Spread batter into greased or sprayed 9 X 13 pan.
4. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until done.
5. Remove from oven and sprinkle with “love”.
- Math: This craft/gift lends itself perfectly to practice measuring skills. Have your child examine the measuring cups and make observations about the sizes and numbers displayed.
- Language Arts: Have your child help write the labels and/or directions. If they are not old enough yet, you can write them and discuss the letters and sounds. Remember that drawing pictures is also an early form of writing for children so they can illustrate the directions by drawing the steps next to the words.
- Science: Discuss liquids and solids and how the solids in the jar don’t mix but if they were liquids they would. Also talk about when you add the remaining ingredients in the directions, they will become a liquid, then bake into a solid again.
Other crafts can also be found in the Free Craft Newsletter