Columbus Day Ship
4. Cut 2 triangles out of the construction paper and allow your child to decorate them.
5. Poke 2 holes into each triangle that the straw will “thread” thru.
6. Sail your “ship”.
- Language Arts: Sing the nursery rhyme “Row Row Row Your Boat” while letting your child play with their craft. You can also teach them the rhyme “Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue in Fourteen Hundred Ninety Two””. Rhyming words are a HUGE kindergarten skill.
- Math: 1. Dicuss the shapes involved in this craft (paper triangles, straw is a cylinder, whatever shape you choose to make the ship).
- Social Studies/History: Discuss with your child the reason we celebrate Columbus Day.
- Science: Place the “ship” in the bath tub and have your child blow on it. Then measure how far the ship “sailed”. Discuss how their breath is like wind and that you can make things move without actually touching them.