Preparing Her For That First Period #KotexMom

45 Flares Twitter 37 Facebook 4 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 2 Reddit 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 45 Flares ×

u by kotex tween productsI’ve been sharing with you my journey relating to first periods, and talking about them, with my 7 year old for several months now (see previous #KotexMom posts).  This is my “final” official post, although I’m sure as the time for her period gets closer down the road, I’ll be sharing more once again.

It’s been a mixed bag of experiences with this series of posts. I’ve had a lot of support, and an overwhelming number of you agree with me that yes, we should talk to our girls ahead of time, so that they can be prepared for what’s coming.  I’ve had a few of you who have emailed me with concerns that preparing my daughter is asking for trouble and that I should just wait until she starts having her period.  I’ve even had a select few folks who had some very unfriendly things to say to me about this.  I’m a firm believer in arming my children with the knowledge they need for things.  To those who don’t agree with my viewpoint, please feel free to stop reading- I won’t be offended but I do hope you’ll try to see my point of view.
I was alone and unprepared when I got my first period, and those feelings didn’t go away for many, many years- thinking something was wrong with me, or that I did something wrong.  I don’t want my girls to experience that. I want them to know that it’s normal and not have to feel embarassed or unprepared.  It’s very easy to keep a U by Kotex pad or two in a tiny pocket of your backpack, just in case, and knowing when and how to use that. I know it’s just as easy to not talk about it, because it isn’t exactly a fun conversation and it’s not a comfortable subject for many. It isn’t comfortable for me, either. I just believe that having the knowledge ahead of time will give my kids tools they need to cope with changes. In all areas of life.

The Kotex site has great tools such as a calendar with facts about puberty, questions your daughter may ask, ways to start the conversation and more.  My daughter isn’t quite ready for this but I’m glad to know it’s there as a resource for both of us when the time comes!

Don’t forget to visit the U by Kotex website for period questions that could be helpful for tweens and teens. I told my friend about this- her daughter started her period a few months ago, and both have said that it’s a great site for her to go with questions. She really loves the U by Kotex products-she said she likes that its a fun color package but mostly it’s smaller than her mom’s period stuff and fits her a lot better.

It’s been an interesting road, with these conversations, but I feel like I’ve opened up new lines of communication with my daughter, even if we don’t revisit them for a few years- and I know it’ll be that much easier when it’s time for the same with my younger daughter.

I wrote this review while participating in a Brand Ambassador Campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of U by Kotex Tween and received products to facilitate my post and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+2Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Email this to someone

• With one 17 year old girl i v been through this and it was a bonding time for both of us !!

• My mom let the school tell me during the maturation program. Freaked. Out.

I will probably have a chat with my daughter . . . but hopefully she stays 3 forever. ;)

• Worst day EVER!!! I really don’t want to share it. Thanks.

• All of my daughters are grown and in their 30′s. I wish I had stuff like this when they were starting their periods and I talked to them. Brilliant idea!

• I have three daughters, so I could identify with this post. Once my oldest daughter started her period, it started an ongoing conversation so that the other two were much more aware of what was going to happen. It’s nice that nowadays it is more open to discuss these things, so that young girls no longer have to be scared or embarrassed.

• I had to have that talk with my daughters. I was lucky that they felt they could come to me with any questions.

• I’m not a mom, but this sounds like a really awkward conversation to have. Glad there are resources for moms and daughters out there!

• i have a long ways to go before i have to do that! my daughter is only 2 and i have another on the way so i will be ready when it comes! :)

• My daughter is only 2 years old so I have a while before I have to talk to her about this.

• Well I am a mother of 3 boys so thank god they dont have to go through having periods, because I suffer every month and i couldnt imagine having a girl to go through what I go through each month.

• I love it that they make it simple for parents to teach their daughters about their periods, but it is a scary thought, it is a conversation I would like to avoid :/

• I am entering to win the WiiU and I am leaving you a comment. The article above is very helpful for young girls. Thanks for posting it.
    Annette

• I do not have any kids, but I am sure by the time I do the products will be much more advanced. They are always coming out with new products!

• I have only 1 daughter.

• I still have quite a few years before i get to talk to my daughter about it, but i’m so glad that with all the technology out there, it makes it easier for us to go through everything together, in case she has questions that i can’t answer

• I’m still waiting for my 14 year old to get hers!?!? I’ve spoken to her though, and I don’t know if she is hiding it, or she really doesn’t have it yet.

• What kind of freak of nature would tell you that you shouldn’t tell your daughter ahead of time? People never cease to amaze me…..

• I don’t have a daughter but I remember the conversation with my own mom! The first products she bought me were Kotex but there wasn’t a special “tween” brand!

• I don’t have a young daughter but I sure will use this for my granddaughter when the time comes :)

• I remember the original first period kit! I got it when I was younger, I also got it for each of my girls. They have certainly updated the look.

• I have two daughters ones 23 and ones 12 and im use to dealing with it I was raised with 4 sisters and they learn fast and got it down lol

• i found it easy to talk with my girls as they came of age, i think my girls just wanted to know why not the boys LOLL

• I think we ALL want to know why not the boys! LOL

• I dont have daughters but this would have been great if I did. I didnt get a talk or anything when I got mine at age 11. Its a scary time & moms need all the help they can get so they know the right things to say & do for their daughters.

• Hopefully she still has a couple years to enjoy before it happens

• I think its great to be having chats with daughter about it. They do need to know what is going to happen to them. I was like you and wasn’t told anything. Needless to say that didn’t turn out well.

• My granddaughter got hers when she was nine. Her mom had not talk to her about it so she was embarrassed and didn’t say anything to anyone. Went to school and had an accident and her mom was called and thats when she found out. I feel it is best to have them prepared.

• I’m just here for the WiiU

• My daughter is almost 8…I started when I was about 13 I think, but they are starting younger and younger now. This will come in handy. Thank you.

• I think it’s very wise of you to talk to your daughter about this ahead of time.

• I too am kinda glad I have a son….although I know the day will come when we deal with different issues, lol! Every child is a blessing, boy or girl! Every girl can use a supportive Mom when it comes to her period. I know my Mom was so supportive, and that made all the difference in the world when the time came. Thanks for sharing. :)

• My nieces will be needing this will pass on to their mom.

• This will come in handy when the time comes and easy to understand!

• This is great!! Wish they would have had this stuff when I was young!! My sisters filled me in on what to expect, I thought they were joking, but noooo, they werent lol … My first comment didnt show up, now they probably both will lolol

• I have boys, so I didnt have to do this. But, it would have been nice if they had all the stuff they have now, back when I went thru it. My sisters told me about it, and what to expect.

• I have two boys so I don’t have to deal with this with them! But I would have love all these things when I was younger! Thanks :)

• Our daughters are 2 & 5. I’m so not looking forward to when this time comes for them, but I will be sure they know I’m here if they have any questions about it!

• Haha, you make me glad I only have sons. ;)

• I found that it was really easy to talk to my daughter about that time of the month, I felt that if it was something that I had to experience as a woman she needed to know..

• I am just waiting for my 9 year old to start. We have had the talks and we are prepared.

• Great Content, Thanks for sharing

• These would have been great when I was a kid, so glad they have them now :D

• My first daughter started at 9 years old oh ya now im hoping my 7 year dont start as early

• My daughter is only 6- but hopefully they will have the “tween” sizes still when she gets her first period. I HATED the little bag I got at 5th grade maturation, this stuff would be SO much better to have around!

• I’m hoping my daughter won’t start until at least 13, like I did. I felt like my childhood was ended in one fell swoop.

• I have 3 daughters, 2 of them have already started. It isn’t too bad but the house can be moody at times. :)

• I don’t have a girl, but I love how many tools are out there now for young girls. I would have really benefited from that!

• I have a lot of thoughts on this one concerning the double standards and bizarre shame that surrounds women’s health. I’ll save the rant, but I will say that so many young girls have no idea what a period is when they start, and are terrified that they’re dying or injured, don’t understand what’s happening, or go through extreme embarrassment with soiled pants at school, and so on. It’s critical for young girls to know what menstruation is BEFORE it happens, and there are many simple, age-appropriate ways to do this. So a big high-five to you!

• I wish I would have had the talk with my mom, I was clueless! I think education is so key to being prepared and this is a great thing to do for your daughter!

• It is probably one of the scariest things a girl has to go through. It’s not that bad once you know what it’s like and have had one, but there’s a learning curve. I think we’re wise to do all we can to make them feel confident in advance.

• I love how easy Hello Period makes it for us to figure out how to talk to our kids about their periods! Any help makes a difference!