The Songs We Share with Someone Special #Troop8x #HTC8

With Valentine’s Day in just over a week, thoughts turn to love, to friendship, romance…family, friends…spouses.  All normal.  I don’t know about you but so many of the important people in my life are so intertwined with songs to me that I can’t hear the song without thinking of them, or see them without the song.  So lucky for you, I’m sharing a Playlist of my Loved Ones, so to speak…..

You may remember me sharing how “Because you loved me” is all for my dad.  It always will be.  I’m his voice now.  I have to be, because Alzheimer’s has robbed him of that.

me and dad

My friend Missy- Cabin 13 at Camp Nokomis- belting out “On My Own” from Les Mis…or …(sorry Missy) the song from Days of Our Lives…”We don’t have to be one or the other….”

Ann, my oldest friend- the B-52′s “Love Shack” will never ever not make me smile!

My mom- With mom, it’s anything Anne Murray, Josh Groban, or Kenny Rogers’ “The Gambler” which I know sounds like a weird mix but I’ll never hear those songs without thinking of her.  Many cry when they hear The Gambler, I just cry for a different reason….

Renee, my roommate freshman year of college- Gin Blossom’s “Two Princes” makes me smile every time I hear it!

Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s Somewhere Over the Rainbow  is so beautiful, so poignant, and brings me to tears each and every time I hear it.  It makes me think of my wonderful friends who have angel babies up in heaven- and I think of the love each inspired during their short times on earth- Emery Amelia, Jamie Lynn and Monir.

An old high school friend Mandy- “I Like Big Butts” is a song that makes me smile because I think of her.

It’s funny- I’m so sentimental, and so sappy, but not all of my songs are that mean the most!

I think maybe I should use some of these as ring tones for the people associated with them, don’t you?  What songs are on your “special someone” playlist?

Content and/or other value provided by our partner, HTC.

} else {
                setTimeout(‘socialChorusDelayedLoad()’,100);
              }
            }
            socialChorusDelayedLoad();

Content and/or other value provided by our partner, HTC.

• I like Billy Joel and Elton John songs.

• Keith Whitley’s song “When You Say Nothing At All” reminds me of my husband because he doesn’t talk much but I know what he is thinking!

• Go Rest High is the song that makes me think of my mom, and “That’s what the cowgirls do” which was the song they accidentally started at her funeral. She’d have laughed, our family has a weird sense of humor.
    Amazing Grace and Blue Christmas make me think of my grandmother. She sang those to me. One of my most treasured possessions is a tape of her singing.

• looks like fun! :)

• I just tried to listen “I Like Big Butts” and I loved it :-) Cool song! I also love the song “Love lifts us up where we belong”!
    Thank You for sharing!

• When I was in college, hotel California was my ringtone for my dad cause he loved that song….he passed away ten years ago now and I still get tears in my eyes whenever I hear the song….

• Butterfly Kisses- My dad says this song makes him cry and think about me. :)

• My Grandparents, I cry when I here I’ll be seeing you. There were both Career Army WW2 Veterans, my grandmother suffered from Alzheimer’s terribly, my grandfather Cancer. We made a movie of still photos & added the song. My husband, Leave your hat on, was one of the first songs I heard him sing at a gig, my oldest, Alive & Kicken, was very popular while expecting. Next son, River of dreams, I can still see him learning to walk & dancing still his fav. Song. Next son, anything Elvis. he has been a fan since a speech program. My LO Santana music, she just comes alive when it’s on.

• thank you for a chance to win!

• I’m horrible with coming up with things like this off the top of my head – I’ll have to make a few notes as I hear things about what they remind me of.

• i still get the goosebumps when i hear the song my now hubby and i sang/listened to in the car on our first date

• My kids love it when he sing head shoulder knees and toes to them in the bathtub. Always have a ton of giggles and that to me is super special.

• No, I just use the standard ring tones.

• i still smile when i hear i will survive cause i made it on a “tape” for my sister when she had a breakup

• Prince always reminds me of my mom, and ZZ Top for my dad.

• I think songs have a profound effects on our emotions from day to day life From the songs that makes us smaile and those that make us cry and remebering the moments from here and things from the past .I love music

• I have a lot of songs that reminds me of people i love, not just one. My grandmothe use to listen to old gospel music. My Dad to old Country Western music.. The music that reminds me of my husband is the 70′s music .

• Hmm, no special songs, I made some up to put the kids to sleep- they don’t like them now, because it makes them sleepy.

• I wish my husband and I had a song! After 10 years of marriage you’d think we would!

• I sing Little Wooden Head to my children and as I sing it to them I can hear my Mom singing it to me :)

• I also love your list!

A rough time in my life…then when I had my daughter, nothing else mattered. I had the local radio station play Sweet Child O’ Mine just a few hours after she was born and I crank it up always now. She is 20 and she knows that is “her” song. So many songs bring me right back to the where and when I heard them…Any song from Bread when I was a teenager. So many of the fun 80′s songs when I was raising my older kids, and LOVE shack is special to me too because I called the radio station for a contest at the RIGHT time and won $1000! It might as well have been a million! I was a poor divorced mom of 3, used most of that money for bills but kept out a few hundred to go see my dad down in Texas. I treasure that time as he is gone now. That song made me able to create those memories. I Swear…the song that became our wedding song when my husband and I married. So many that I connect with other people.
    I’d be lost without music. It now ties me to my kids as they grow as it is a big part of our connection, especially when kids are teens. It’ funny out of 6 kids they all have their own favorite style of music they listen to. My 13 year old loves the 60′s through 90′s a lot. That is fun to share all of MY old music with her!

• How awesome of a idea and looks like fun

• Gail DonAvan – “Who I Am”

• It is amazing how a song can take you back to a different place and a different time:)

• “Dare You To Move” by Switchfoot reminds me of my best friend. :)

• i don’t usually listen to songs.

• I love Somewhere over the Rainbow also! My sister lost a baby and my brother lost 2, so it has special meaning for me!!

• “Hello” by Lionel Ricci. My husbands mother had it as her wedding song and he has always thought it was the most romantic song he ever heard so when he sings it to me I know it comes from the heart.

• Aw, what a really sweet post. I can’t think of any song off hand myself.

• My Mother always sand Silver Bells during Christmas- it was her favorite it will always remind me of her.

• Somewhere over the Rainbow reminds me of when i was in kindergarten!

• ‘you are my sunshine’ reminds me of my son

• i cant think of any songs that remind me of my mother, i should since i took care of her for over 12 yrs. my mother used to sing old songs but i cant remember any that she used to sing

• Anytime I hear the music from Star Wars it reminds me of my husband who still likes the movies, but used to be annoyingly OBSESSED with Star Wars!

• thats so wonderful…

• You guys are so adorable.

• My grandmother use to sing old gospel songs and they always remind me of her.

• Oddly Guns n Roses reminds me of my mom!

• My husband doesn’t have any songs. I like Moon River and Gettin to know you.

• My husband and I have a few songs but my favorite for us is In Spite of Ourselves by John Prine…describes us perfectly ..the song goes “In spite of ourselves we’ll end of living on a rainbow, Against all odds we’re the big door prize”
    My kids I and I have Hotel Yorba by the White Stripes ..when they were smaller I had to play it over and over again when we were driving.

• love Train Drops of Jupiter for my sister in law who passed at 42

• Oh my goodness, there are SO MANY songs that remind me of someone or event in my life. It would be crazy to try and list them all. Paul Stukey’s ” Wedding Song” reminds me of the day I married my husband. :) “Grow Old Along With Me” sung by Mary Chapin Carpenter takes me back to my 25th anniversary vow renewal and party. Rod Stewart’s Forever Young” reminds me of my eldest daughter. “I Hope You Dance” by Lee Ann Womack makes me remember my middle daughter’s graduation and leaving home for college. And I will forever think of my youngest when I hear “You Are My Sunshine” . I sang it to her all the time when she was a baby and toddler. She sang it to me too! Anthything Aerosmith, Boston, or Fleetwood Mac takes me back to highschool. I could go on and on and on….

• Elton John songs always remind me of my mother

• I like that you have specific songs for the people that are in your lives. I have never thought about this, but I am going to look up some songs that I believe is asssociated with my sister and Dad and she what I can come up with this Valentine’s Day. My Dad has dementia and he loves music!

• Moon River always reminds me of my mother and father I remember them dancing to that when I was a little girl

• I always think of Queen and Crystal Gayle for my mom, the Steve Miller Band’s “Take the Money and Run” for my dad and anything by Eddie Arnold for my Grandpa. My son’s favorite song is Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” and I can’t hear it without thinking of him.

• Such a cute idea for songs for specific people. I love somewhere over the rainbow! :)

• I agree that Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s Somewhere Over the Rainbow is beautiful. I added it as background music to a video I made of my first borns life from birth to 2 years… it was a tear jerker!

• I walked up the aisle to Michael Buble’s “That’s All.” Whenever my husband and I hear it we always share a moment no matter who we are with are where we are. It could be as simple as a hand squeeze or just a look and smile, sometimes a kiss, but it’s always a happy memory.

• Hubz’ and my song is Warren Zevon’s “Keep Me in Your Heart for a While.” I think if I needed to identifiy my son with music it would be “Voodoo Child” :)