True Blood, Sad Things and Life Insurance.

This post about life insurance is brought to you by our friends at Genworth. Opinions are my own. I  What do True Blood, sad things and life insurance have to do with one another?  Well, they all sparked this particular post, for one.  Plus, on  the latest episode of True Blood…Terry Bellefleur took out a life insurance policy just days before his untimely death.   Yes, I’ve managed to weave a television show about vampires into a really serious and heavy topic that none of us wants to think about. But hear me out.  Terry wanted to be sure that his wife and children were taken care of financially.  Sure, he’s fictitious and he hangs around with fairies and vampires, but he wanted to do what we all want- to make sure that we’re not adding any extra burdens and stress onto those we’re leaving behind.

terry-bellefleur-life-insurance-trueblood

Photo Credit: HBO.com

My wonderful husband has had life insurance for many years. I’ve had some myself for a while. But we took a long hard look at things and realized that we were paying an awful lot for not very much coverage.  I mean, I’m home full time with the kids.  If the unthinkable happened, and we know that it could, there’s enough in place that the kids and I would be ok for a while.  That said, if that unthinkable were to happen to me, my husband would still have to go to work.  But we’d have no childcare. I AM the childcare.  That, and my income would be gone.  Poof.  That’s not a great scenario, right?  We don’t have enough life insurance to cover ourselves if the worst thing were to happen. Not a great feeling.  (Please note, this is already in motion to be corrected).

And…I hate to even type these words, but you probably know by now that I will say the hard to say and bring up the awkward on here…if the unimaginably unthinkable were to happen (yes, that’s a phrase, and maybe I did make it up) and something were to happen to one of our little ones, we’re going to now have coverage so that expenses relating to that omg-its-hard-to-breathe-even-thinking-about-it-situation were to happen wouldn’t put us under huge financial stress. I mean, if something happened to one of our children, I’m confident that would be ENOUGH stress and adding financial stressors would only make it worse.

the kids who made me mama

See, that’s the thing. We’ve never thought things all the way through before.  But the fact is, and maybe it’s sad if you don’t believe in God or maybe it’s happy if you DO believe in God, but we all die. Hopefully not until we’ve had a long, fulfilling life with some happiness in it.  But recent events in our very own country prove that bad things happen.  I have friends who have lost a spouse.  I have friends who have lost their child.  I’ve watched people close to my heart and family live through those horrors and it kind of opened our eyes, like it has so many others.

Do you want something to happen that you’d need life insurance? NO.  Never.  No one does.  But it can happen to us. To you. To me. We need to educate ourselves and protect ourselves.  Even we stay home parents need to take a long hard look at why (men and) women are not buying enough life insurance. (That’s a pretty informative article, by the way).

I’m going to close with this: If the Martin family is taking a look at True Blood, sad things AND life insurance, maybe it’s worth you taking a second look too. At least at the life insurance part.  Take a second look, get the sad stuff overwith, and enjoy something fun with your loved ones.
Do you have life insurance? AND do you watch True Blood?

• I don’t have life insurance for myself but my husband does, we are planning to get some for me soon. I know this is so important.

• I don’t have life insurance but my husband does through his work. I haven’t seen True Blood but I’ve heard by lots of people that it’s pretty good.

• I haven’t seen True Blood but I agree Life Insurance is one of those things no one wants to talk about but is unfortunately necessary. I have it to protect my family and that helps me feel much more responsible and at ease.

• P.S. I forgot to mention that I don’t watch True Blood. Maybe on Netflix someday, but not now.

• I’ve been out of work for several years, but after a couple of years of worrying about what my family would do if I were to die, I did get a small life insurance policy. It’s not easy to make that payment, but for the peace of mind it brings, it’s worth every penny.

• Life Insurance is something that I think most people Don’t life talking about, but should and better! I cannot carry it due to my health, but we have it on my husband and son. I got upset when my husband got coverage on our son (silly I know but hey I am his mom and nothing like death is supposed to happen to him) but the cold hard truth is this: If something were to happen to either of them we don’t have the savings to help with any expenses. Great post.

• I love you a little bit more now that you tied in True Blood with this subject! Life insurance definitely provides peace of mind and protection for families after a loved one is gone. It’s so nice to have just in case.

• yes, life insurance is necessary, getting the money together to pay for a premium is another story

• I’m on a fixed income and can’t afford life insurance. I know that’s not good. I think about it a lot. When I turn 50 and can get something alittle cheaper I will. This is a really good post b/c it gets people to think about how important it really is.

• as you say, it’s important just-in-case-the-worst-happens

• It is smart to be financially prepared.

• It is so important to have life insurance! I’ve seen first hand what can happen when you don’t!

• Definitely have life insurance! Our family just went through this 2 years ago my father did not have life insurance and it was a very expensive funeral to cover so this opened my eyes and we got it right away

• Forgot to answer the other question in previous comment no but True blood looks interesting

• We have life insurance. But with the rising cost of burial, funeral and other expences, it will never be enough. I hate thinking of death, but it will happen to everyone some day. It’s good to be prepared!

• You’re ahead of most people already in having life insurance for yourself – most people look at you like you’re crazy if you ask about life insurance for stay at home moms – they don’t consider what it would cost them to pay for child care, etc.

• We have life insurance but funerals cost alot of money now. Its best to have if you can afford it but we are on a limited budget. Not having any at all can cause lots of issues at a time when you cant think straight. No one likes to talk about this subject but it must be done by everyone as sometimes we dont have notice that an accident happens

• We used to have life insurnace but had to cash it in when times got pretty tough. I’ve never seen True Blood.

• I haven’t seen too much of True Blood, however I am sure of one thing: Life always changes and a good deal of it we cannot control. If possible, and it isn’t always so, we should all insure ourselves, loved ones and also, our belongings.

• my brother died last year without life insurance an it was so awful an a big mess,,lots of bills from his illness

• This episode was crazy! Life insurance is definitely a must though.

• I don’t watch true blood. I do have life insurance but only a small policy. Thanks for your post, i am going to look further into my options and consider what’s best for my family in case of the unimaginable.

• We didn’t have life insurance for the longest time, but I told my husband if something happened to him, me and the kids would have a very hard time. So fortunately, his work offered decent insurance for not too much of a cost. no, I haven’t seen true blood.

• I haven’t seen True Blood, but know that life insurance is something that every family should have.

• we have life insurance and it brings such peace of mind just in case anything were to ever happen

• Staying at home now I no longer have life insurance. I really need to get some, hubbys is not a very good plan, we need to sit down and take care of this just in case.

• Yes, we have life insurance. You just never know what will happen!
    I don’t watch True Blood, but I’ve heard about it from people who do watch.

• Insurance is important. I’ve read the True Blood series, but never seen the show since I don’t have TV.

• My husband and I have life insurance, but nothing to cover ourselves if anything should happen to our children. Never thought about that much. Thank you for this very important reminder.

• Life insurance is not something that anyone wants to think about but unfortunately, we need to discuss it and be prepared. When I married my hubby, he was still paying off his daughters funeral costs from the year prior. It took us a long time to pay off that bill. We now have insurance on not only us, but all of our kids as well. I really don’t want to think about that – but it has to be done.

• I am super paranoid about preparing for worst case scenarios to as full an extent as I can. When I was 19 my mom died very suddenly and I was left with $90k in medical bills that her insurance tried to fraudulently get out of paying. I was able to prove that they were in the wrong and get them to fulfill their obligations covering it, but I was terrified because no one was listening to me and I faced the very real prospect of losing everything and having nowhere to live. And people wonder why I am so overprotective of my finances/property now – LOL! If I can help it, I will never, ever be in that position again.

On a totally different note, I’ve never seen an episode of True Blood but my friends tell me I need to see it! I’ve been meaning to, I just never got around to it. Haha!

• Yes we both have life insurance. And yes we are big fans of True Blood. Eric, Pam, and Lafayette are my favorite!

• It is important to have life insurance but I have never had it as I dont have a spare penny to my name

• Good points – it is a good idea to plan for the worst just in case.

• Insurance is an important thing that families should consider.
    I have a small policy on my oldest, enough to cover expenses heaven forbid something ever happened.
    Insuring my youngest is a very sore topic because noone will insure him.

• Totally agree that it is sooo important to have life insurance… we have it on everyone in the family; you just never know what may happen…

• We have life insurance on both my husband and I. We just use term as it’s inexpensive and will get us through our children being at home and needing the care. It gives me a huge feeling of peace of mind knowing that if the unthinkable happened, we would at least not be kicked out of our home and left with nothing.

• You have a beautiful family. My husband has a great policy through his work, I don’t. I have been meaning to look into it.

• I know it’s horrible even entertaining the thought of an unthinkable eventuality but we need to be practical even if it goes against our best emotional judgement. Sound, sound advice girl!

• I can’t imagine how devastated I would be to loose a spouse or a child. I know life insurance is something we need to take a look at soon.

• Bah! Spoiler alert!! LOL I haven’t watch the latest TB yet.
    We don’t have life insurance yet, but we are definitely going to get serious about getting it soon.

• What an awesome and compelling post! I haven’t seen True Blood.. I might just be the only one.. haha! I don’t have HBO but need it! Thanks for the eye openers and life insurance!

• Now that we are parents, life insurance is more important than ever. My spouse has it through work, I bought mine as soon as the adoption happened.
    Thanks for this reminder.
    PS I love True Blood!
    Mitch

• Just like you, I carried life insurance on myself because my husband would have needed a way to afford getting childcare for the kids. It’s a horrible thing to think about but once you set the plans in place, you don’t have to think about it anymore. Or worry.

• I don’t watch Trueblood, but my hubby and I just reviewed our life insurance needs too… it’s a delicate balance to know how much is the right amount of coverage without paying too much and going overboard…

• This can be such a tough topic to talk about, but is so important. I love how you approached this topic in such a fun way.

• my Dad was in the insurance biz, so I have always carried enough insurance on everything–but it is SO especially important once you have children and a home to ensure their future–great points–I do not watch True Blood as yet-sorry :(

• I don’t really know anything about ‘True Blood’ but I do know this: I had just turned 24 and had a 15 month old son when my 27 year old husband died. We can’t think of this kind of thing as something “older” people have to worry about.

• I don’t watch True Blood, but I do know the importance of life insurance. We have a policy for me and for Bryan. I’ve always been one of those people who wants to be prepared.

• Oh I know, I love True Blood and was such a HUGE fan of Terry! When they said a character we loved was going to die, I did not see this coming at all! :(

Also, I agree, it’s so important to have life insurance on not only yourself and your spouse, but our little ones as well and pray that we never have to use it.

• Yes, to both. My husband and I both feel it’s important to carry life insurance. I watch and am loving True Blood this season. I think they’re setting it up for next season to be even better.