Truvia natural sweetener is a great tasting, natural, zero calorie sweetener made with rebiana, the best tasting part of the stevia leaf. Not only can be it be used to sweeten coffee/tea and cereal/fruit, but you can also cook with it. Check out www.truvia.com for several great recipes, including tasty dishes from Celebrity Chefs Sam Talbot and Marisa Churchill!
I tried some of the Truvia in my coffee- its not my sugar…but it was sweet and didn’t leave a longlasting aftertaste like so many other sweeteners do. I do like that there’s no texture with the Truvia. If you don’t know by now I have a “thing” about food textures. While this is not my favorite sweetener (I honestly would just rather have regular sugar, in lower quantities) its definitely a better option than other non calorie sweeteners and I think its definitely worth trying!!
We made a Reduced Sugar Banana Bread which the kids liked a lot- they adore banana bread so I figured this would be a great recipe for us to try the spoonable Truvia with!
1 ¼ cup flour
3 1/2 Tbsp Truvia™ natural sweetener spoonable*
4 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup (about 2 medium) very ripe bananas; mashed (we did 4 bananas but we love a lot of banana flavor!!)
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/3 cup butter; melted and cooled
½ tsp vanilla extract
Non-stick cooking spray
* or 12 packets Truvia™ natural sweetener
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
2. Whisk together the flour, Truvia™ natural sweetener, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix the mashed bananas, buttermilk, egg, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl.
4. Lightly fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. The batter will be thick and chunky. Don’t over-mix or your loaf will be small and tough.
5. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan. Bake about 55 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; transfer to wire rack.
One of my readers will win a 40 count box of Truvia and a spoonable jar!
Leave a comment with your name and be sure I have a valid email with which to contact you in the event you are the winner!
Like Truvia on Facebook
Follow my blog publicly via GFC or RSS Reader (+1 entry each)
Share this giveaway on any social networking site “I want to try @Truvia sweetener http://wp.me/p1qA6G-1jX from @mamatomjr” (can be done 2x/day at least 1 hour apart per share site)
Enter any other What a Mom Wants giveaway +1 entry/giveaway up to 5 entries
This giveaway will end on May 7, 2011 at midnight, EST. US only. Winner to be chosen using “And the Winner is” plugin. Winner has 48 hours to respond to initial contact or a new winner will be chosen.
I received a sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed within are my own.