One of my favorite things about fall is all of the apple-liciousness that comes with it. I love it all, the decor, the colors changing on the trees, the crispness that creeps into the air, the promise of cooler days, snuggling under blankets at night, apple picking, and then, of course, cooking and baking with the apple bounty that comes with the picking. Fall is my favorite season, for many reasons, but apples are a big part of why I love it so much. We actually have 2 apple trees in our yard- our house sits on what used to be an apple orchard, but only one original tree remains, the 2nd to last was lost after too many rough storms took down branches. We’re always looking for fun ways to use up our apples and enjoy them, and making homemade apple cider kind of seemed like a no brainer. My kids, especially my oldest, would drink cider every day all year long if allowed.
Homemade Apple Cider
12 assorted small-medium apples
1 small orange
1 C brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2-3 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
water to cover
-Wash and chop whole apples and orange (no need to remove peels, seeds, or stems)
-Put all into a large pot. Add spices.
-Cover with water bringing to a boil. Continue to boil uncovered for 1 hour.
-Cover. Simmer for 2 hours.
-Using a potato masher roughly mash all ingredients.
-Continue to simmer until cider is dark tasting sweet and spicy. Allow to cool.
-Strain everything into a large pot.
-Store in a refrigerator.
Recipe makes 1/2 gallon.
Apple Cider Mocktail
4 oz of apple cider
4 oz of chilled ginger ale
-Combine equal portions of apple cider and ginger ale. Stir well.
-Fill glasses with ice.
-Pour the drink mixture into each glass.
For more fun Fall projects and recipes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Easy Paleo Apple Butter Recipe from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Skillet Apple Pie Roll Recipe from A Mom’s Take
- DIY Wooden Apples Craft from Mom Does it All
- Caramel Apple French Toast Strata from My So Called Balanced Life
- Fall Chopped Salad from 2boys+1girl=OneCrazyMom
- Caramel Apple Shortbread Parfaits from Simply Southern Mom
- Homemade Apple Cider from This Mama Loves
- Skillet Apple Crisp from Better in Bulk
- DIY Apple Earrings from Cait’s Beauty
- Crazy Easy Salted Caramel Apple Dip Recipe from Pretty Opinionated
- Apple Stamp Craft from Mom on the Side
- Chocolate Dipped Spiced Caramel Apples from How Was Your Day?
- Homemade Crepes with Apple Butter from Our Family World
- Apple Monkey Bread Muffins from Upstate Ramblings
- How to Host a Caramel Apple Bar from MommaDJane
- DIY Glittered Sneakers from Style on Main
- Apples and Avocados from The Guavalicious Life
- Apple Pie Ice Cream from Home and Garden Cafe
- Morning Glory Muffins from Day by Day in Our World
- 12 assorted small-medium apples
- 1 small orange
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- water to cover
- -Wash and chop whole apples and orange (no need to remove peels, seeds, or stems)
- -Put all into a large pot. Add spices.
- -Cover with water bringing to a boil. Continue to boil uncovered for 1 hour.
- -Cover. Simmer for 2 hours.
- -Using a potato masher roughly mash all ingredients.
- -Continue to simmer until cider is dark tasting sweet and spicy. Allow to cool.
- -Strain everything into a large pot.
- -Store in a refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 1/2 gallon.