American Standard Portsmouth Vanity & Americast Bathtub

When we started thinking about redoing our bathroom, which is our only full bath, we knew we had to maximize our tiny space and also minimize spending.  This is not usually an easy thing to do when looking at remodeling your home.  We really wanted a cast iron tub- for the heat retention and for quality of material, among other reasons, but the cost was really high and the weight of those is very high.  I wasn’t sure I wanted a 800+ lb bathtub on my 2nd floor.  When we started researching, immediately we learned of the Americast tub by American Standard.  A lighter version that’s very similar in composition to a cast iron tub, the Americast weighs in only around 350ish pounds, but offers the same heat retaining qualities and durability of a cast iron.  That was an easy decision.

We do keep our bathroom clean but we’d removed inches of lath, plaster and tile/grout – hence the filth!americast tub by american standard

American Standard’s Americast Tub. Can you see the difference already?

I have to tell you, I’ve taken more baths in that tub since we finished our bathroom than I have combined in the last 15 years.  I love it.  It’s deep, it’s roomy, and it holds the water temperature for a good long time.  To give  you an idea- I usually watch a full episode of True Blood or another hour long show while in the tub on my iPad.  The water does drop in temp a bit but not much at all, and only at the very end of my bath.  My husband had no idea how much I really love my baths until we installed the Americast!

americast tub with kids

(Did you think you’d be seeing a photo of me in the tub??)  All three of my kids fit in this tub without looking like stacked sardines- they love it.

american standard portsmouth vanity

The Portsmouth Vanity had all of the features we were looking for in a vanity.  Not too deep, a generous amount of counterspace available, cabinets we can get safety locks on, and the best feature, a pull out stool for kids.  A stool that stores in the vanity so it’s not in the way, isn’t brought into other rooms, and can be stored out of sight when not being used.  It was awesome.   When the vanity arrived, I was really impressed with the solid construction and quality of materials used.  We’ve never had American Standard cabinetry before and both my husband and I thought the cabinetry was really nice- very attractive to look at and very well made.  Love at first sight.

american standard portsmouth vanity with stool out

Except for one little thing.  I checked, double checked and triple checked the measurements for the vanity, and was confident this would fit.  We needed a vanity with a depth of up to 19 inches and no more.  Well, when this gorgeous vanity arrived, my husband raised an eyebrow and said “that’s not going to fit.”  Confident, I insisted it would.  I was wrong.  We got it upstairs and it was about 21 inches deep- with the doors open, there was about 1 1/2 inches of clearance between the doors and the radiator.  I was so sad.

american standard portsmouth vanity open doors

Details like the second shelf with cutout for plumbing give you a lot more storage space!

We ended up donating the vanity so that someone with a different floor space can use it.  This was such a sad thing.  I’d still get it again.  Just with a bigger bathroom.

If you are looking to remodel your bathroom, definitely look into American Standard.  Especially if you like to take long baths like me!

A vanity was sent to facilitate this review.  Opinions are my own.

• I love the vanity. I also like the tile and tub you’ve installed!

• Ha i wish i had a bathtub like yours in my apartment.. I have three girls that always take and play alot in the small bathtub we have.. But when i have my own house ill be sure to have something like yours.

• I really like the vanity. That would work nicely in our small half-bathroom. Thanks for the ideas.

• never seen a vanity with a pullout stool for the kids, pretty neat! Thanks for the rec!

• I wish we had known about Americast when we redid our bathroom. I love our large bathtub but the water gets cold way too fast for my taste.

• that looks like a nice bathtub. i have an american standard and i love it.

• Lots of work, but it looks great. I love that vanity.

• I’m going to measure my bathroom vanity right now, the stool feature is genius! We have another kiddo coming in August and I’m not doing another 7 years with a step stool that’s ALWAYS in the way.

• Have never seen a stool built in like that! I LOVE it! Too bad it didnt fit in your bathroom…bummer. What did you get instead?

• Thanks for the review. Never thought about cast iron!

• I like the vanity.

• I havent took a bath in years but I might just do it now!!! Thanks for the review. I have the same bathtub!!

• I love the idea of the pull out stool on the vanity! Stools always are either in the way, or so far out of the way they aren’t usable!

• l had so much fun picking out vanities and fixtures when we redid our bathroom a few years back. I’m so sorry your vanty did not fit, but I am betting whoever got it was very happy!
    jillcollins68@yahoo.com

• That built in stool is soooo cool! We have to use a stool at our kids sink and we’re always moving the dang stool out of the way of the door back and forth so they can reach the sink.

• Love the vanity! I need a new tub nd recovering it is not an option but I love the space in yours(;

• That is gorgeous! To bad it didnt fit!

• Wow! Those look so nice! I am loving the stool and could definitely use something like that!

• I hate when things don’t work out as planned! AWESOME vanity though!

• So glad I saw this post and I am saving it to show hubby, we are hoping to remodel our bathroom this year… and although it doesn’t happen often, I love to relax in a nice hot bath, it’d be great to have a tub where the water stays warm!

• Very Cool

• The tub looks great and the vanity would have been perfect with it. Too bad that it would not have fit. It would look great in my bathroom.

• Isn’t it fun to remodel – well maybe not the work involved – but sprucing up the house makes it feel new. I love the white vanity, especially the doors

• Wow, that looks great! I’ve never heard of American Standard. My parents are remodling there bathroom so i’ll have to tell them to check it out!

• We need to remodel our bathroom. I will check out the American Standard. Thank you for the review!

• I love this vanity! It’s perfect! It has features I would never have thought of, but now I feel like I can’t live without. I love the pull out stool.

• I love that vanity!!! The pull out step is awesome .

• Shame that the vanity didn’t fit your space. The pull out step stool is very cool for kids. I really like that.

• I recently had a new tub installed but not a new bathroom sink and vanity. I wish your vanity would have worked out for you.

• So Cool!

• I will have to consider them when I redo my bathroom!

• It’s too bad the vanity won’t fit. It’s super insanely cute!!!

• We so need a new bathtub! So thanks for the thumbs up on Americast. I will definitely have to check them out. I also really love the built in stool on the vanity. What a great feature!

• Ahhhhh a beautiful tub to take a long bath in. American standard is such a well known brand.

• What an amazing tub! I can’t believe the water retained heat for that long. That’s always my biggest complaint about baths is the water cooling off. So that’s pretty neat. The vanity looks great too and I’m sure whoever you donated it too is enjoying it.

• Thanks so much for sharing! I don’t see too many bathroom reviews, so this is really a big help. We have decided to redo our entire bathroom during my maternity leave. A mistake? I’m not sure, but if you saw it you would know why I’m willing to bite off more than I can chew! We need to replace everything!!

• What a nice vanity! We want to remodel one of our guest bathrooms and this looks cute!

• Wow, super cool vanity and the tub is a huge improvement! I can’t wait until we get a house to work on lol!

• I love the vanity. My daughter & husband are building their house this would be great for their bathroom. Thanks for sharing.

• Love the vanity and the pull out stool. Think that is such a great idea. I think I would have done some remodeling in order that the vanity would fit. :) Great review.

• That vanity is just awesome!! I love the pull out stool for kids.
    I wonder why bathroom designs always include a bulky vanity and a high mirror that children can’t use!

• We plan to remodel our bathroom so I will definitely be taking a look at this vanity. :)

• I love taking baths and would love this tub. I really like that the Americast tub offers the same heat retaining qualities and durability of a cast iron tub. I also like the American Standard is so deep. I really like the Portsmouth Vanity and am so sorry you couldn’t use it.

• Ok first of all, I never knew there was a vanity with a pull out stool! How cool is that?!? And I totally LOL’d at your comment about seeing you in the tub, you’re hilarious! It did turn out great though! I love deep tubs. I have yet to get my dream bathroom… one day.

• Oh my goodness, I would’ve been so bummed if this hadn’t fit in my bathroom. I LOVE that pull out step!! What a brilliant idea! I also love the extra shelf because I have ZERO drawers and ZERO shelves in my double sink bathroom. ugh…I may need to redo the bathroom sink!

• Sorry the vanity didn’t work out. It was nice.

• My husband and I are looking into purchasing a home really soon and that tub looks so comfortable. I haven’t taken an actual relaxing soak in a very long time and this would be just what I needed to relax and unwind! Great post!

• Perfect timing. We’re thinking about remodeling our downstairs bathroom.

• I’m loving the tub and wish I was closer… we would have LOVED that vanity! I will definitely look into American Standard when we finally remodel our downstairs bath.

• This review is interesting