Is Your House Making You Sick? Keep An Eye Out For These 4 Telltale Signs
Ah, home. Taking your shoes off and inhaling the familiar aroma of comfort are two of the most satisfying feelings after a long and stressful day. Your house is a secure sanctuary for you and your family, so you wouldn’t expect it to make you sick. It’s more frequent than you may think for illnesses to be caused by things in the house, and fixing them is usually rather simple. What’s making you ill in your own home? Keep an eye out for the following warning signs around your house from a visiting writer!
If your house was built between 1920 and 1978, you may have been exposed to asbestos, which is any of the six naturally occurring fibrous minerals that were commonly utilised as building and insulation materials in homes built during that time period. Asbestos is a carcinogen. If you inhale asbestos fibres, they may permanently damage your lungs and cause lung cancer. Asbestos cannot be seen or smelled, but it may cause lung illness such as mesothelioma, asbestosis, or lung cancer when inhaled in small particles.
Stock in the pantry
Most people don’t think to check their pantry stock since it’s one of the last places they’d search for anything hazardous. Pests can live in pantry cabinets for weeks without anybody noticing, according to research. For obvious reasons, you don’t want rodents in your house. Mice and rats may carry a variety of illnesses. Call your local pest control company if you see symptoms of pests like holes in food packaging, droppings, or even flooring damage.
Mold is a fairly frequent issue in the house. It is particularly prevalent in areas where there is a lot of moisture and the weather may change drastically from one day to the next. Mould thrives in a house with a high level of humidity (anything over 60%). A high degree of humidity may also cause damage to the drywall and create an environment in which mould can grow behind the walls. A wide range of health issues, including chronic sinusitis and harm to the neurological system, have been linked to some types of mould. As a result of the dust mites that are drawn to areas of high humidity, people are more likely to suffer from allergic responses, digestive problems, and sleep disturbances. It’s important to keep in mind that low amounts of dampness in your house might cause respiratory discomfort. However, mould treatment doesn’t have to be a huge undertaking when the issue is identified in its early stages. You should be able to get mould spray at your local home improvement shop.
Finally, lead-based paint was used to paint many outdated houses, and as a result, over 900,000 children were exposed to it in a single year. If your house was constructed before 1948, it’s a good idea to get your painting examined as well as the lead levels of your family members to make sure they aren’t at risk of becoming ill. You may not be aware that candles may cause lead poisoning, even in the absence of any flame. Before choosing candles for your house, make sure you are aware of what is in each one.
Whether you realize it or not, your house might make you ill. Take a look at these signs and decide for yourself!