One way we save money in our house is to pack our kids lunches rather than buying school lunches. With all 3 of our girls attending school this year, packing lunches most of the week is going to be the most cost effective way for us to feed our girls. So I thought I would share with you some recipes I find to spice up our girls lunches! So each Friday, keep an eye for a new recipe for your kiddos lunchbox!
This weeks Friday Lunchbox Recipe:
MAC & CHEESE SOUP
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 (7.25-ounce) package macaroni & cheese mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups (1 quart) milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- In a soup pot, bring water to a boil over high heat. Stir in peas and carrots, macaroni from packaged mix (reserving cheese packet), salt and pepper. Return to a boil, cover loosely, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients, including reserved cheese packet. Reduce heat to medium, cover loosely, and simmer 10 minutes, or until hot and creamy, stirring occasionally
Recipe and Photo credit thanks to MrFood!
Stephanie G says
Yummy! thanks for the recipe! What a great way to serve a food my kids love while adding some veggies!
Charice de Vidal says
I’m not able to do wheat/dairy for my family but I shared it with other families on my facebook account. ^_^ Maybe add some cooked crumbled bacon or diced chicken.
melissa williams says
this looks really interesting, I should give it a try! Would probably be a big kick with my 2 year old.
Susan Heim says
This looks delicious! I’ll have to cook some up for my boys!
This recipe is beyond awesome! It combines 2 of my favorite things…mac n cheese and soup! I am going to try this for a cool Sunday evening family meal. Yum and thanks again!
Jennifer Rogers says
What a great idea. The kids love anything mac & cheesy. With this they get veggies too. We have thermoses for hot items and this is great for cold weather. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
Jennifer Fox says
Ok I bet my son would love this! Never thought of adding vegis to Mac & cheese!
Thanks for the recipe. I’m always looking to add veggies to my kids meals. They love mac so I’ll have to give this a try.