Each week throughout the Fall and Winter (and into spring!) The Centsible Family will showcase a slow cooker (crock-pot) recipe that one of the Mavens of Money have tried and tasted. By sharing we hope you will be able to save a little time during the week as we all know saving time is just as valuable as saving money. And you will be able to enjoy a hot meal at the end of your day.
This week’s recipe is Macaroni and Cheese by Mackenzie at The Centsible Family that is a perfect family classic to serve. Prep time should be about 15 minutes and will cook for four hours on low and yield about 8 servings.
- 10 ounce (2 1/4 cups) dry whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella/swiss cheese
- 8 ounces American cheese, thinly sliced and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Coat inside of slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine macaroni, cheeses, milk and evaporated milk in slow cooker bowl; stir well and cover; cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- When there is 30 minutes cook time remaining, stir in Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until toasted and golden. Sprinkle over Mac & Cheese and serve immediately.
I modified this recipe from Family Circle as I didn’t have everything they listed AND my slow cooker cooked faster then their 3 hours for High. I recommend only cooking on low because it WILL burn if cooked too much.
Want more recipes? Check out Better Homes and Gardens The Ultimate Slow Cooker Book (more than 400 recipes), Crock Pot Cookbook: 440 Slow Cooker Recipes or Gooseberry Patch Slow Cooking Cooklet for more recipes.
Are you in need of a slow cooker or crock pot for this recipe? Amazon has Crock-Pot SCCPVL600S Cook’ N Carry 6-Quart Oval Manual Portable Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel or Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker available with free shipping. In addition Walmart has with free shipping to store.
Priscilla S. says
I always love adding to my slow cooker recipe collection. And who doesn’t love mac and cheese!
Sandy VanHoey says
This is different in the crock pot. It looks good and I love how cheesy and using mozzarella also
Jennifer Hedden says
This recipe looks so delicious! I love that it has 3 different kinds of cheese! I will definitely have to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!
This sounds good and I’m glad you tested this for us. The only time I used noodles in the slow cooker it came out horrible like one big starch bowl. Thanks for the recipe!
lisa brown says
My favorite recipe yet! Thank you 🙂
Melissa O says
I’ve always wanted to try slow cooker mac & cheese, it sounds so interesting.
Sounds great! I’ve never attempted macaroni and cheese in the slow cooker before–I will be giving this one a try!
deb kovac says
This recipe looks so good. I use my slow cooker a lot so it is so nice to find new recipe to try out in my slow cooker. Thanks for sharing.
Jude Skocki Kelly says
OMGoodness this sounds so awesome! I always struggle with mac and cheese but I think I can master this one. thank you
Donna B. says
OMG, this sounds AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
Kimberly C Dickerson says
This sounds fab! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Kathy Smith says
I am going to try this one tom, we have family coming in and this is going to be perfect
I love new ideas for slow cookers! great recipe I can’t wait to try it!
Thanks for sharing! We love mac and cheese, so I am going to try out this variety.