It’s time to replace our compost bin #DigIn

11 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 11 Reddit 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 11 Flares ×

This is the first  sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Home Depot as part of a series about outdoor DIY projects  in the yard.  We have composted for almost 8 years now, since moving to our current home.  For years, we’ve just used pallets to kind of frame an area  for the compost bin, which is not aesthetically pleasing but quite functional.  Having the open front means we can easy access the compost to turn it with the pitchfork or to grab shovels full for whatever we are planting.   Having the front open means also that the kids can bring worms they find around the yard to the compost and help the process along- and hey, whatever it takes to keep them from bringing worms inside my house and putting them on the table! But, the pallets aren’t made for this and are falling apart.  Part of the compost bin was also hit by falling trees and branches a few times during the nasty storms we’ve had here in Connecticut.  It’s time to replace and get something more substantial.

compost bin made with pallets

I have seen many different kinds of compost bins that you can purchase in stores and online.  I’ve seen fancy compost crocks that you keep in your kitchen and use to tote the food waste back and forth to the compost bins.  For us, it seems kind of strange to buy a container to tote our food scraps to the compost- we have a bowl we use and run through the dishwasher.  The kids take turns bringing the bowl down to the compost bin.  I’m sure the store bought composters are great but we’re DIY folks and I don’t think my husband would want a purchased bin.  He likes to make things and repurpose them (like the pallets). So we’ll be going with the DIY compost bin this time around.

I found really simple, clear instructions and a shopping list for supplies for how to make a compost bin over at The Home Depot website and was able to go to the store sans husband, get the items I needed and return home with a van full of wood.  The only thing I wasn’t able to do from the instructions was to purchase cedar posts or boards- apparently, these are special orders and not available for purchase off the shelves in most stores.  We will find a safe product to seal what I did purchase and I think we’ll find it to be a great alternative.  (If you really want to do the cedar, which I wasn’t able to wait, plan ahead and place the order ahead of time).

home depot employee

With my list in hand, my littlest one and I headed to The Home Depot on a Friday morning.  We were greeted with friendly smiles and Jamie was quite willing to offer his assistance so that I could find what I needed without pushing the humongous carts around the store in circles.  If you are ever shopping in Manchester, Connecticut,  ask for Jamie!! He was really helpful and more importantly, knowledgeable about both his department and where to direct me for assistance in other departments.  He’s also clearly a good sport, letting me take his photo for a blog post!!

Now that we have all of the supplies we need and plans for how to build a compost bin, we’ll be sharing the results of that project  after it’s complete.

shopping for compost bin materials

Maybe I’ll even show you pictures of the plants and flowers my shopping assistant convinced me to buy before we even met up with Jamie.  It’s hard to say no when she wants to help garden!

It’s home improvement time, and The Home Depot has everything you need to #DigIn for Spring. No matter what projects you want to tackle, they have great values on all you need. They’re ready to help you with renovation ideas and expert advice, too.

Get over $300 in email exclusive savings each year, sneak peeks on new products, monthly lawn & garden ideas for your region and access to The Home Depot’s gardening experts. Click here to join the world’s largest garden community today! Or go to homedepot.com/gardenclub to see some of the many benefits of membership.

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Home Depot.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+11Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Email this to someone

• I will see what my husband says about this, but I am just afaird around here we have to many dogs and cats runnings loose, (heck, I have 2 myself, of course not run loose). this might be a good project for my son and husband durning their summer break.

• So great that you’ve got the family involved in the compost project. It’s so nice to find such helpful info on so many DIY projects at the Home Depot website – it’s really inspiring to know there’s such good help available when I’m ready to start a new project, both at the website and in the store.

• I like that you’re building one yourself.

• Awww, how cute! That sounds like the perfect mommy and daughter activity! Thanks for the coupon hook up! ;)

• thank you for the ideas I need to start this.

• I live in an apartment, but, if I leived in a house composting is great, green way for sustainable living.

• I need to start using a compost bin

• Your helper is definitely a cutie. :) I get motivated by the Home Depot flower department too! I can’t wait to see the new bin.

• What fun! I can’t wait to see how the new compost bin turns out. (but hey, I thought your pallets were fine!) Home Depot is one of my favorite places to shop and their assistance-folks are always so helpful.

• have fun, i prefer to compost by throwing my stuff over the front porch into my plants…coffee grinds, etc. i live in the country and would have way too many problems w/ coyotes, deer, foxes, rabbits, etc….

• i dont really compost, i live in the country, i throw coffee grinds, egg shells, old lettuce, etc. off my porch into my plants around the porch. also orange/lemon rinds to keep the bugs away….my home depot is not that helpful at all. in fact, it is hard to find anyone to help you when you go in…

• I really wish we could compost but it’s just too difficult living in a rat infested city.

• This is a great Idea, we need one for our backyard so badly

• I want to start composting this year. We don’t have enough room in our yard for anything big but I saw a DIY project where you can use an old plastic garbage bin. You drill small holes in it and can roll it around to turn the stuff inside. I don’t know how well it will work but I am going to try it : ) Can’t wait to see your finished project!

• Your little helper is adorable!!! Good luck with all of your DIY projects. Maybe I’ll join you in a week or two when things slow down here.

• We shop at Home Depot at least once a week and have spent thousands there. Love their products because they stand behind them if they are not up to standards. As for a compost bin, we do not have one, however, I read the review and am thinking in terms of buying one at Home Depot, which is approx. 300 yards from my home.

• Thanks for the tip about checking the Home Depot site. We compost and have been talking about getting a bigger bin. By composting we have been able to go to every other week trash collection. That has helped us save a lot of money over the year. I would much rather do a repurposed bin if we can. I will have to show the site to my husband. Thanks for sharing!

• I’ve been meaning to start a compost bin for years now! I think a compost crock for the kitchen would be really good for me, because I love the idea of having a sealed place indoors to collect the wet trash. (We seem to get a lot of bugs in the summer )

• Very cool! We’ve been trying to learn more about composting. I look forward to reading more about your experience.
    PS – Love your cute helper! :)

• I can’t wait to see the finished bin. We would love to start composting and I really want one of the kind that you can turn with a crank.

• Home Depot has gotten a lot more helpful. Before, I had a hard time getting help, but now when I walk in there they are so helpful and really teach you about what I need to learn about a home project I am doing. That is nice that you were able to get your compost pile fixed. That is great that you compost, very healthy for the garden. Your little helper is so cute! you must show the flowers you planted!

• i tried doing worm composting once, i was supposed to keep the bin under my sink and put my waste in it.. but i just couldnt deal with the worms LOL i ended up throwing it outside and freeing them.. i wouldnt mind doing a compost bin outside though

• Um…..this is a little embarrassing – but I never knew what a compost pile was until just now. I’ve always lived in apartments – I always had a vague idea that compost was just a pile of garbage you left in the yard, for some unknown reason. Now I know about it. PLEASE DON’T LAUGH AT ME!! *ashamed at ignorance*

• good luck and I’m excited to see the pictures. I’ve never done composting before but my fiance and I have considered it. I love your little help too, shes adorable :)

• We don’t have a compost bin but I’ve always been interested in them. I look forward to seeing your update, this might be a good summer project for us.

• we started a garden this year and got a rude awakening ..frost! we are in with the neighbor..she knew there was an alert but didnt cover.. now we have to start over with the tomatoes. i think we should start the compost pile too. i hear compost tea is great for watering plants.

• Your little assistant IS the cutest!!! Sounds like quite a project, but cannot wait to see the finished product. :)

• Looking forward to your pictures when you have finished. Maybe that will be the deciding factor for us in building a compost heap.

• I’ve never had a compost but it sounds like a good idea. I need to think about this.

• I will be coming back to see the exciting end of the story!

• I need to get down and dirty as well. Good luck with the compost!!

• Okay I feel really silly because I haven’t heard of composting before, or the benefits of it. I’m really anxious to see your project and love the comments from other readers! This is great!

• Do you garden, Amanda? It’s a great way to boost your plants without spending more $$. and kids love watching stuff rot. LOL

• Yeah, who could resist that face to much of anything but especially to something like gardening…it’s a great think to learn about when young. I am so blessed that my mom taught me great fundamental things like cooking, gardening, and such.

• I’ve been wanting to start one for such a long time!
    Your little helper is super cute by the way :)

• Wow–now that is going to make quite a compost pile!! good for you and I love Home Depot too!! they are just so helpful

• we dont have a home depot in our are wish we did the project looks good so far i wish you luck and hope everything gos well

• I havent composed yet but plan too this year

• We love shopping at Home Depot. Whenever we need plants or supplies, that’s where we head!

• I couldn’t believe how much nice my flower garden looked after I started composting.it really makes a world of difference.

• yes it does!! makes the plants happy and less waste in the dumps!

• I’d love to see your compost pile as it grows!

• It was 1/3 FULL at the beginning of the spring- we’ve just had to do a lot of planting (25 trees++ ) and it’s all gone. We’re building it back up.

• For several years, I’ve shredded credit card offers, credit card cash advance loan checks, etc., and added that to our compost.

• Literally laughing out loud. Awesome.

• I wish I could have a compost here someday I will do when I have a house. Home depot is a great place for home improvement projects indeed. Compost is so great too help with the environment plus great for plants

• My town house has no place for composting. This year I will have a Growbox with herbs on my patio.

• Good for you! I am sure you could have bought some fancy-shmancy super-expensive compost thingy at Williams-Sonoma (along with a $4,000 chicken coop and chicken diapers!) but I’m with you – DIY is best and probably works as well or better and is and of itself biodegradable!

• Wait…chicken DIAPERS? Say what now?

• I wonder if that store associate knows he is “famous” now? :) I haven’t composted in a while, but am thinking I have just the spot for it at our new house. I think I might have to head to Home Depot to get started!

• Home Depot always makes me feel encouraged to do some improvements at home! I’d love to see your project after it’s done!

• In a week or so- hoping to get the new bin built Sunday, but I have to shoot a wedding all day tomorrow so it may not happen

• Hmmm…can’t wait to see this project from start to finish. You may be inspiring me to try something new in my backyard!

• Firstly, your helped is adorable!
    I mean your daughter!
    And I may live in a NYC aprantment, but I have 4 tomato plants growing in my son’s room (best sunlight in there), and we have done some home composting to help it along!
    thanks!
    Mitch
    PS There is a Home Depot in Manhattan, we have gone there for their free kids workshops, they are awesome!

• Mitch- my niece has a city- window garden in Boston- we found a cool carrot growing method using a 2 liter soda bottle!! I think its more exciting almost doing gardening in a city dwelling- we have a lot of space to make a huge bin and stuff. Many don’t. So you have to be really creative!

• You DO have an adorable assistant!!! I actually like the look of the pallets but definitely looking forward to what your NEW bin looks like!!!

• Oh, good luck with the building!! Love Home Depot, that place makes me feel motivated!