Summer Swimming Safety Tips from NSF

As you know, summer is in full swing and with the summer heat days are often spent poolside with family and friends. However, a relaxing day can quickly become an emergency if proper pool safety precautions aren’t taken. In 2012 the Consumer Product Safety Commission estimated that almost 300 children under the age of 5 drown in swimming pools each year and thousands more are injured.  Here are some swimming safety tips to keep in mind:

• The #s are alarming…This is my biggest fear. I agree with all the other comments even children that know how to swim can easily drown.

• I swear I posted a comment yesterday….maybe I’m losing it.

I have always had one steadfast rule which is no yelling “help me” unless you genuinely need help. I never wanted it to be like the boy who cried wolf.

• Feeling like a dork….comment now showed up!

• LOL Wendy- sometimes comments have to be approved (not sure why?!) but it was waiting for approval. I only approve once or twice a day. I don’t think it’ll ask you for approval once it “knows” your email on the site.

• Love these tips! Not only does my parents’ pool have a wonderful locked gate surrounding it but there’s at least 2 adults with my children while they swim. I also don’t allow them to currently go with friends’ families to the pool without my husband or I going as well.

• I think it will be a very, very long time before my children are allowed in a pool without adults. Too scary. Why take the risk?

• Thanks for the tips! (Although reading things like this makes me very thankful that nobody I know owns a pool–seems like that’s where most drownings happen.)

• Wendy- We have a pool. We have actually put off putting a deck around it so that its harder to get into the pool- and will continue to delay it a few more years. It’s a pain but worth the peace of mind for us.

• I have always had a rule that you are not allowed to yell “help” unless it’s a genuine need. Sometimes kids will play like that…and it’s simply not allowed under my watch. I need to know that if I ever heard that, to take heed!

• Me too!! We start teaching that from a really young age.

• I liked the summer safety tips! It i always a good thing to read these to remind me about the importance of staying safe in the summer time! It is always sad to read of others not taking safety serious, and then they end up with tragic consequences!

• I know, Karen. Its heartbreaking. You can’t mess around with water.

• As a pediatric nurse I have unfortunately taken care of kids who have drowned (luckily they survived) but I cant not say enough how important it is to NEVER take your eyes of your kids while they are swimming!

• NEVER. EVER. We don’t even let my oldest play alone in the pool and she’s a strong swimmer!!