Bears are awesome. Seriously awesome. We fell in love with them watching the Disneynature Bears movie when it came out… and now we love watching and learning more and more about these amazing creatures. They are the largest carnivore of the land mammals and look like they are the cuddliest. How can one animal look so adorable on second and ferocious the next? Bears have fascinated people for thousands of years from polar bears to grizzlies to panda bears. Here are a few fun bear facts for you to wow your friends with this year around the campfire.
10 Fun Bear Facts
- No wonder bears can handle the cold; they have two layers of fur. The longer outer layer reflects water away and the short layer under each keeps the bear toasty warm.
- Sun bears have the longest tongues of any bear measuring at 9.8” long!
- A hibernating bear’s heart rate is 8bpm whereas normally it is at 40bpm.
- Black bears come in a rainbow of colors from light brown to reddish brown (cinnamon) to even white.
- When bears mate, the eggs stay inside the female’s body fertilized, but do not implant in her uterus until the fall. While she is hibernating the babies are growing. She wakes up, gives birth and they nurse for a couple months before ever stepping foot outside the bear cave.
- After a female bear mates she then has sex with as many bears as she can find. Since bears will not kill the young of a female bear they have mated with, she wants to make sure they all think they are the baby daddy.
- A polar bear’s stomach can hold 150 pounds of meat!
- Polar bears are the only bears that are true carnivores. All other bears love fruits and flowers, which makes them omnivores.
- A panda bear can eat up to 45 pounds of bamboo a day.
- 98% of the Grizzly Bear population lives in Alaska