This time of year always seems to be my kiddos favorite time of year to snack on apples! So for this weeks LunchBox Idea, I found is Just Trying to Save Money is sharing with us: Apple Sauce Squares!
Cooking Time: 25 min
*1/4 cup margarine, softened
*2/3 cup brown sugar
*1 cup applesauce
*1 cup Granny Smith apples with skin on, small diced
*1 cup all purpose flour
*1 teaspoon baking soda
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
*1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
*3 tablespoons margarine, melted
*1 tablespoon milk
*1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F degree.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with butter spray.
- Mix together margarine, brown sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Stir in applesauce and chopped apples into the mixture.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice, mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are golden.
- Cool in the pan over a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and margarine.
- Stir in vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Spread over cooled bars before cutting into squares.
Recipe Credit and 26 More after school snack idea recipes!0